Saturday, July 9, 2016

Introductory Post

Hi everyone! My name is Katherine Edmundson. I just completed my second year as a high school Spanish teacher in Illinois. I grew up in Downers Grove in the western suburbs of Chicago. I received my Bachelor's Degree from Michigan State University where I majored in Spanish and minored in Teaching English as a Second Language. One of my fondest memories was attending many exciting football and basketball games. During the summer between sophomore and junior year, I studied abroad in northern Spain. I enjoyed taking classes in Spanish culture, literature, and art history while improving my fluency by living with a host mother. Following graduation, I completed my student teaching internship at Eaton Rapids High School in Eaton Rapids, Michigan. That year was particularly challenging for me as I adjusted to working in a rural school that did not use a textbook. However, my student teaching experience truly prepared me for the rigors of my own classroom. I moved back to Illinois and was employed as a full-year high school Spanish 1 and Spanish 2 long-term substitute. This past year, I worked as a traveling teacher for Spanish 1 and Spanish 3 at two different buildings. I will be returning to a similar position for the upcoming school year. TE 822 is the first class that I am taking for my MATC. Outside of the classroom, I am an avid reader and moviegoer. I am a huge Michigan State Spartan fan, too! I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. I especially love traveling to different places throughout the world.

One of my favorite movies that portray teaching is Dead Poets Society. I have seen this movie multiple times, but I take away something different each time I watch it. Now that I have been teaching for a couple of years, I see Robin Williams' character as the teacher who I aspire to be. I appreciate the passion that he has for his subject. He inspires a group of students to take their love for English outside of the classroom. Williams' makes material relevant by connecting it to his students' lives. He uses hands-on methods to help students understand the concepts of poetry. While many of the students wanted to pursue medicine in college, some were so motivated by his class that they changed their plans. Not only does Robin Williams' character teach students about English, but he also teaches them about life. He forms many personal relationships with his students and gets to know each one individually as a person. The students trust him to discuss important questions and challenges that they experienced in their lives. As I continue with my career, I hope to instill a similar passion for Spanish in my students. I aspire to keep students very engaged in my lessons while making them relevant to students' lives. I make a point to learn about each student individually. I want them to feel comfortable approaching me with their concerns. When students leave my class, I would love if they continued taking the next level of Spanish or majoring in the language in college.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine,

    Thank you for your introductory post and welcome to the course!

    I enjoyed reading your reflections on your time at MSU. It must have been quite a shock to think about yourself as the cosmopolitan, multilingual teacher and then end up in a rural school. This transition can be hard for all new teachers, but I sometimes think teaching in remote rural areas can be the hardest (just because it can feel so lonely).

    I am glad you are back in your home state and working your way toward what I will be a permanent dream job! Very cool, especially that you are getting to teach some of the upper level Spanish as well.

    I love Dead Poets Society as well. Though--it is a challenging model to live up to! I love how eclectic Mr. Keating is. The students have no idea what he is up to half the time, and aren't sure what he is really asking them to do. I think that type of teaching--which exposes the hidden artificiality of too much schooling--is brilliant!

    I'm glad we share a love of Spartan sports. Here's hoping for another great year (with some happier endings than this year!),

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete